Department of Ophthalmology
The department was set up with the vision to make available the finest in eye care in the world to its patients totally free of cost. The department has a modern operation theatre, an advanced laser unit and other various other state of the art equipment for delivering quality patient care.
For inpatients, medicines, nursing care and diet is given free of cost during their stay. Cataract surgeries are done on day care basis and for Retinal surgeries, patients are admitted one day prior to and discharged on the day after surgery after being explained post-operative care and medications.
- Anterior segment OCT
- Humphrey visual field analyzer
- Optical coherence tomography
- Fundus photography
- Fundus fluorescence angiography
- B Scan ultrasonography
Scope of Work:
ROUTINE REFRACTIVE ERRORS
Screening and examination of refractive errors is performed and suitable glasses are prescribed.
- Medical retina : Screening , laser treatment , intravitreal injections for diabetic retinopathy/retinal vein occlusions/ age related macular degeneration
- Surgical retina :
- Retinal detachment surgery
- Diabetic vitrectomies
- Macular surgeries (ERM, Macular hole, VMT)
- Intraocular foreign body removal
- Diagnosis, medical / surgical management of primary and secondary glaucomas.
- Facilities offered are:
- Humphrey visual field testing
- Laser peripheral iridotomy
- Combined cataract and trabeculectomy surgery
- Senile cataract
- Traumatic cataract
- Complicated cataract
- Subluxated and dislocated lens
- Pediatric cataract
- Secondary intraocular lens implantation
- Diagnosis and management of:
- Infections and inflammatory conditions of conjunctiva and cornea
- Conjunctival / corneal trauma
- Complete Neuroimaging facilities like CT and MRI scanning are available. Retinal nerve fiber layer analysis and Ganglion cell layer analysis are done.
PAEDIATRIC OPHTHALMOLOGY AND STRABISMUS
- Congenital cataract surgery
- Strabismus evaluation and management(surgical and non-surgical)
Dr. Kavitha Rao, Sr. Consultant and HOD. Completed DNB Ophthalmology in 2000 at SSSIHMS, PG and subsequently did Retinal fellowship at Retina Institute of Karnataka. Consultant at RIK for 20 years before shifting to SSSIHMS, Whitefield on full time basis.
Dr. Shanthala, Sr. Ophthalmologist
Dr. Archana Preethi, Consultant
Part Time- Honorary
Dr. Hemath Murthi, Sr. Ophthalmologist
Dr. Prasad, Sr. Ophthalmologist